Monday 19 November 2007

Diary: Neurotic? Me?

(Diary entry 26th June) Now I consider myself to be a pretty neurotic kinda guy. On my big days, I have been known to make Woody Allen in Annie Hall look like Owen Wilson in Starsky and Hutch. I thought I was at least the most neurotic person in our house. That was until tonight.

I’d noticed that my wife had “looked in” on the sleeping Isobella a little more often than usual.

“Are you checking,” I asked,”to see if her feet are getting any smaller?”

“No,” she replied. ”I was…”

The pause was thunderously Pinteresque.

“You were what?”

“Nothing…”

“What? Tell me.”

“Nothing…”

We ping-ponged this back and forth for a short-ish rally until Karen became more confessional:

“I was… well, do you do this? You probably do. It’s not just me, is it?”

“Do I do what?” I was intrigued.

“Do you go in to check that she’s still breathing?”

To be honest, even to me, the King of the Neurotics (a crown that I fret about losing on an hourly basis) that seemed a little excessive. Through a snort of derisory laughter I said, “No! Of course I don’t!”

But the thing is: I will now. Seventeen, forty-one, a-hundred-and-twelve times a night I will, from this moment forward. Now that the notion has been presented to me, I can think of little else.

Nice one, Karen. Thanks a lot.

No comments: