Friday 26 October 2007

Diary: Fathers' Day

(Diary 17th June) Yesterday morning, Karen went out and left me alone with Isobella for the first time. Exhilarating and terrifying experience. Felt short-changed that there was not more praise upon her return. After all, Isobella had been neither injured nor lost during the whole, complete and entire 17 minute (nearly 20, in fact) period during which she was in my sole care. I am obviously cut out for this fatherhood malarky.

This morning, the reason for Karen’s trip to the outside world was revealed. She was buying my Father’s Day present from Isobella. And the perfect farty old dude gift it was, too: the Travelling Wilburys triple CD box set. Ten days ago I would have blanched at both such a Jeremy Clarkson-ish gift and such a cutesy-pie stunt. Today I am overwhelmed with joy.

No comments: